What does the AHA offer you that other associations don’t?
Thank you for your interest in joining the Australian Hypnotherapists Association, the accompanying information on this site explains the mission and membership criteria of the AHA. Please do not hesitate to phone us on our Free Advisory Line 1800 067 557 (9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday), if there are any points that need clarifying or do not fully explain what is required.
The AHA is the National Registration Body for Hypnotherapists. The AHA has been the Peak Body in Australia for hypnotherapy and hypnotherapists since 1949 and is the oldest, largest and most recognised hypnotherapy organisation in Australia. It is a national and progressive professional association that fulfils a critical role within the Australian hypnotherapy industry.
A Supportive Professional Association
The AHA is an independent association that offers its members services and benefits second to none. The AHA is primarily concerned with providing a unified voice for the hypnotherapy industry; with establishing a national complaints tribunal and supporting its members; by providing a consistent Code of Ethics; by setting Industry Standards for all hypnotherapists; by maintaining a national register of practicing hypnotherapists; by lobbying on behalf of its membership the health fund for rebates for members’ clients; by lobbying the government for better recognition of the profession; by making the general public more aware of the hypnotherapy profession and the availability of reputable hypnotherapists; by lobbying the Insurance companies for fair and reasonable insurance coverage, and for the formal recognition of hypnotherapy as a separate profession. The AHA is the “voice of Hypnotherapists.”
- The AHA has four National Registers
- National Register of all members, both practicing and non practicing
- Find a Hypnotherapist Register, on the Website for the public looking for a qualified hypnotherapist
- Find a Foreign Language Speaking Hypnotherapist Register, on the Website for the public looking for a qualified foreign language speaking hypnotherapist
- Professional Supervisor Register, on the website for hypnotherapists looking for a qualified clinical hypnotherapy supervisor
The AHA continually updates the National Hypnotherapists Register of Australia. This register reflects registration of practicing clinical members of the AHA. It is important for members to be listed on the National Register to affirm to the public they are in fact registered hypnotherapists. After all it is registration that separates professional hypnotherapists from the rest and reflects accountability to the public, government and other agencies. Entry to the National Register or to maintain a presence on the National Register will require continued membership of the AHA as a clinical member. However no information is given out on members details without their prior permission.
AHA Free Advisory Line
The AHA has a Free Advisory Line for the public to use 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, to answer questions and be recommended to a hypnotherapist in their area. Thus the association receives phone calls from the public asking for a hypnotherapist on a regular basis and we refer these enquires on to our registered members. Due to having the Free Advisory Line a member of the Executive is also available for our members 8 hours a day, 7 days a week .
The AHA National Executive lobbies governments (both state & federal) and meets with other professionals regularly. We are doing it, not just talking about it.
The Largest Hypnotherapy Association In Australia
As the largest independent hypnotherapy association in Australia, the AHA’s high standards have withstood the test of time. For nearly sixty years now it has been the leader in the field and it now invites all practicing hypnotherapists in Australia, New Zealand and overseas, that are interested in joining this highly respected progressive, proactive and continuously expanding hypnotherapy association, to apply for membership.
Private Health Fund provider Numbers
The AHA was the first hypnotherapy association to successfully negotiate provider numbers specifically for hypnotherapists in Australia. All AHA clinical members are eligible to apply for a provider number from most of the Health Funds. For further information phone the Free Advisory Line 1800 067 557
The AHA is a non-profit organisation
The AHA is a non-profit association with membership fees re-invested in various ways to promote the aims and objectives of the Association.
The AHA offers a continuing education programme
To help members keep abreast with the latest techniques and new developments that are happening in the field of clinical hypnotherapy the AHA maintains a Continuing Education Program that consists of seminars, workshops and discussion/support groups, as well as supervision sessions etc. The AHA also holds regular General Meetings followed by the opportunity for members to meet informally over lunch or supper, thus giving members the opportunity to socialize, network and exchange ideas and knowledge about their particular areas of interest or expertise.
Low Cost Professional Indemnity Insurance
The AHA has negotiated on behalf of its members low cost professional indemnity insurance cover with Insurance House (application form can be down loaded from the AHA website).
The AHA has been recognised as the authority on clinical Hypnotherapy by Federal and State Governments as well as by private agencies. AHA members are regularly invited to speak to service Clubs and the various community groups about the profession of clinical hypnotherapy. Members are accepted as providers by most Health Insurance Funds.
The Australian Hypnotherapy Journal
AHA sends out a quarterly e-magazine to keep members informed of happenings within the association and industry. The e-magazine contains articles and information on conferences, workshops, therapies, overseas news, business building hints, register of supervisors, fact pages, comments from members and also has a very competitive advertising scheme. The e-magazine is free to all members who supply us with an email address. Members are encouraged to submit articles/papers for publication.
The AHA offers its members a number of promotional opportunities.
- Free Listings on the Register
- Free active link to your own email address and websites
- Personalised description of your qualifications and specialties
- Receive additional telephone referrals from the AHA Free Advisory Line (answered 5 days a week from 9:00am to 5:00 pm)
- Your own listing in the Yellow Pages (& Yellow Pages online) under the AHA Banner
- Opportunity to be published in our e-journal. As a member you receive 6 issues free each year
The AHA holds regular one day workshops in QLD, NSW, VIC and WA. These workshops are attended by well known speakers and experts in their field. The AHA also advertises workshops for its members as part of its contribution to helping members with their continuing professional development. Advertising costs are available on request from the editor. AHA members are given substantial discounts to AHA workshops.
The AHA Offers Continuing Education Programmes and Networking Opportunities
To help members keep abreast with the latest techniques and new developments that are happening in the field of clinical hypnotherapy the AHA:
- Maintains a Continuing Education Program that consists of discounted seminars, workshops and support groups, as well as supervisors willing to help you with your career progress
- The AHA also holds regular General Meetings followed by the opportunity for members to meet informally over lunch or supper, thus giving members the opportunity to socialize, network and exchange ideas and knowledge about their particular areas of interest or expertise.
- The AHA also offers an Online Discussion Group to help members with problem cases. If members have a question about a condition they haven’t encountered before, or understand how to resolve, they can put it to the online Discussion Group where other members can offer a range of suggestions regarding treatment.
- If you are Hypnotherapy student or qualified Hypnotherapist looking for a supportive association to be part of, why not join the AHA today and become part of our friendly and supportive community.
AHA has established a number of State Branches and has members in the ACT, New South Wales, Tasmania, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, the Northern Territory and Western Australia. All members of AHA are invited to join their State Chapter. State Chapters meet regularly and have annual elections for the state management committee. The role of State Chapters is to provide members with one day workshops/seminars and a venue to meet and discuss industry and local issues. State Chapters also advise the national executive of any relevant state issues that need addressing. State Chapters give the AHA a local power base from which to approach state governments and organisations in relation to hypnotherapy industry issues. All members are asked to support their State Chapters by joining at either associate of clinical levels and becoming pro-active to ensure AHA members are recognised at the highest levels of private and government organisations.
International Reciprocal Alliances
The AHA has established a reciprocal agreement with both the UK General Hypnotherapy Standards Council (GHSC) and the Association of Registered Clinical Hypnotherapists (ARCH Canada) that permits AHA registered practitioners who relocate to these respective countries to transfer across at their equivalent level of registration without the need to go through the formal entry process and evaluation.
Such an alliance between these major bodies can only bode well for the promotion of excellence and unity within the profession of Hypnotherapy on a truly international basis. Practitioners who may be considering relocation to either England or Canada should contact the AHA Head Office for full information on the scheme.
As the GHSC is arguably the world’s largest and most successful professional hypnotherapy body this alliance reflects the AHA’s high standing within the international hypnotherapy community and an international recognition of the AHA as the Australian Hypnotherapy Peak Body and as an association that meets international standards.
- The General Hypnotherapy Standards Council (UK)
- Association of Registered Clinical Hypnotherapists (Canada)
- New Zealand Association of Professional Hypnotherapists (New Zealand)
The AHA has an International Affiliation with the following international associations to enable the AHA to keep members informed about world movements in the hypnotherapy profession and to share links and ideas for the improvement and advancement of the art and science of hypnosis and hypnotherapy:
- Professional Board of Hypnotherapy, Inc. (Canada)
- Peruvian Association of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis (Peru)
- Spanish Society of Clinical Hypnotherapists (Spain)
- Association for Analytical & Cognitive Therapists (UK)
- Association of Natural Medicine (UK)
- Association for Professional & Clinical Hypnotherapy (UK)
- British Association of Therapeutical Hypnotists (UK)
- Clinical & Therapeutic Hypnosis Association (UK)
- Corporation of Advanced Hypnotherapy (UK)
- Curative Hypnotherapy Register (UK)
- International Association of Precision Therapists (UK)
- National Council of Psychotherapists (UK)
- National Society of Professional Hypnotherapists (UK)
- Organisation for Curative Hypnotherapists (UK)
- Register of Trauma Specialists (UK)
- United Fellowship of Hypnotherapists (UK)
to share links and ideas for the improvement and advancement of the art and science of hypnosis and hypnotherapy. Membership with these associations also reflects an international recognition of the AHA as the Australian hypnotherapy body and as an association that meets international standards. The AHA invites the members of these affiliated organisations to apply for membership. Should members from these associations be moving to Australia, we would welcome their membership application.
The AHA acknowledges the importance of seniors
In the Seniors Card Discount Directory, under ‘Allied Medical Practitioners’, the AHA acknowledges the importance of our Senior citizens by listing hypnotherapists who have offered a minimum of 10% discount to Senior Card holders. Over the years many seniors have formed habits and anxieties that are now having a detrimental affect on their ability to enjoy their hard-earned right to relaxation, health and happiness. Habits and anxieties that they are now finding difficult to overcome. To get help and find the name of a participating hypnotherapist, Senior Card members are able to call the Association’s Free Advisory Line on 1800 067 557 (9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday).